AphasiaNZ is a New Zealand-wide charity providing support services, resources and information to people with aphasia acquired after stroke, brain injury and brain tumour/disease. Aphasia affects a person’s speech and language and is caused by damage to the language area of the brain. Speaking, reading, writing, participating in conversations and performing calculations can all be affected.
Our Community Aphasia Advisors (CAAs) provide resources and information to those new to aphasia, as well as facilitate local AphasiaNZ groups and activities and educate our communities, increasing knowledge and raising awareness of the nature and effects of aphasia.
We are looking for a new CAA in the Auckland region, to work in the areas which fall under the Auckland and Waitemata DHBs. This position is suited to someone with a background in Speech-language Therapy but is not an SLT role as AphasiaNZ does not currently provide therapy or therapeutic interventions.
We are looking for someone with:
- A knowledge of the nature and effects of communication impairments, specifically aphasia
- An understanding of the services available across Auckland for people affected by disabilities
- An understanding of the multi-cultural nature of the Auckland population
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiasm and flexibility
- Their own car and full clean license
- Computer literacy and competency with Apple devices
Are you an SLT looking for flexible contract work of up to 20 hours a week and an opportunity to use your skills to make a positive difference to the lives of those living with aphasia in the Auckland region? If so, we’d like to hear from you! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about the Auckland CAA role.